First introduced 1904, the Havoline brand was named by Havemeyer Oil Company of New York. In 1906 the Havoline Oil Company separated from the Havemeyer Oil Company. In May 1909, It was bought by the Indian Refining Company, and registered as an official product of the company but kept the logo. By 1910, the Indian Refining Company already had the Havoline oil manufactured. To boost sales & advertise the product they offered to fuel the first plane to fly coast to Coast. Over 300 auto makers wanted it. In 1915 due to over production they had to halt operations. In 1931 it once again changed hands when the Texas Oil company (now Texaco) bought the Indian Refining Company. In 1946 a break through in technology improved Havoline.